Students can Download History Chapter 7 Mauryas and Kushans Questions and Answers, Notes, KSEEB Solutions for Class 8 Social Science helps you to revise complete Karnataka State Board Syllabus and score more marks in your examinations.
Karnataka State Syllabus Class 8 Social Science History Chapter 7 Mauryas and Kushans
Class 8 Social Science Mauryas and Kushans Textual Questions and Answers
I. Complete the following sentences by using suitable words in the blanks:
Chanakya came to be known as ………….
Meghasthan’s work …………..
The capital of the Mauryas was ……………
The founder of the Kushans dynasty was ………..
The new era of Kanishka’s regin is called the …………
- Kujula Kadaphisus
II. Answer the following questions:
List the sources which reflect upon the history of Mauryas.
- Kautilya’s Arthashastra
- Deepavamsha & Mahavamsha
- Inscriptions of Ashoka
Name the important cities during Ashoka period.
Ashoka has been named has Great by the historians. Give reasons.
- After Kalinga war Ashoka went into repentance on seeing the devastation created by war.
- He accepted Buddhism, took many steps to spread principles of Buddhism
- He gave importance to inscription
- Ashoka gave priority to welfare programmes for people
- He constructed many historical monuments. Ex: Sanchi stupas, Saranfctha etc. .
- Many poets, philosopher were encouraged by him
Describe Ashoka’s administration.
- There was a strong espionage network
- Ministers, priest, prince were the higher subordinates of the king
- The Empire was divided into provinces
- Takshashila, Ujjain, Douli, Surarnagiri, were regional administration centers
- King appointed Rujuka & Yuta officials
- His aspirations were expressed through edicts.
Which dynasty did the Kushans belong to?
Kushans were basically from a nomadic tribes which had migrated to India from central Asia. They were the progeny of Yuchi.
What was the extent of Kanishka’s empire?
- Kanishka’s rule had spread upto sanchi in the south & Banaras in the East
- His kingdom which included central Asia too was a vast empire
- Purushapura was his capital
Class 8 Social Science Mauryas and Kushans Additional Questions and Answers
I. Fill in the blanks with suitable answers:
The first Indian empire was ……….
Arrian, Strabo, Diodorus were belonged to ………………. (nation) writers
The prime ministers of Chandragupta Maurya was …………..
The manuscript of Kautilya’s Arthashastra discovered by ……………..
‘Live and let live’ stated by …………….
Ashoka sent his son Rahula & Daughter Sangamithra to …………… to spread Buddhism
Mauryans introduced the silver coins were ………….
Rujuka: Justice officer: Yukta: …………
Our national emblem of four headed lion is taken from …………
Kushans capital was ……….
II. Choose the correct options:
Deepavamsha and mahavamsha belongs to ………….
c) Shravana belagola
Kalinga war fought in year …………..
a) 324 B.C.E
b) 367 B.C.E
c) 261 B.C.E
d) 273 B.C.E
c). 261 B.C.E
Devanampriya priyadarshi reference appears for the Ist time at ……………… inscription.
The main source of income for king was
b) Land tax
b). Land tax
Gold coins were brought out into circulation during ………………… period of Kushana.
c) Vimalakad phisus
d) Vimakad phisus
c). Vimakad phisus
III. Answer the following questions in brief:
Write a short note on Kalinga war.
- Kalinga war fought in 261 BCE between Ashoka and Kalinga ruler.
- One lakh people died through Kalinga was won by Ashoka .
- He was disturbed by the deaths he decided not wage war there after
Which steps were taken by Ashoka to spread Buddhism?
- Ashoka appointed ‘Dharmamahamtra’
- He installed inscription all across the kingdom .
- Preaches were sent to other countries.
Ex: Rakshita was sent to Banavasi. Mahadeva was sent to Mahishamandala. Rahula & Sangamithra to Srilanka
- He organized the third Buddhist conference to Pataliputra in 250 BCE
Name the titles of King Ashoka
Explain briefly the social system of Mauryas.
- Varna based caste system
- Brahmana and Kshtriya could interchange their status
- Maegasthenes records the presence of seven castes in Mauryan society in his Indica.
- Slavery system was practiced
- Shudras the last in the Varna system they employed or agriculture.
What were the contributions of Mauryans to Art/Architecture
- Mauryas capital Pataliputra surrounded by forts
- Many ‘stupa’ and pillars were erected.
- Sanchi stupa is the biggest
- Four headed lion of pillar is in Saranatha
- Three rock cut caves at Barbar hill
- His son Darsharatha built three more rocks cut caves at Nagaruni hills.
Draw a out line map of India and Locate the Maurayans Empires, boundries.
- Raj agriha