Lithosphere Class 8 Questions and Answers KSEEB 8th Social Science
I. Fill in the blanks with suitable words.
The continental crust is also called ____________ .
Vast basin shaped volcanic mouth is ____________ .
The most destructive earth quake waves are ____________ .
Stalacitifies and stalogmites are most common in ____________ .
The ____________ are formed by sea wave’s work.
II. Answer the following questions.
Mention the three major layers of the interior of the earth.
The three major layers of the interior of the earth are the crust, the mantle and the crust or core.
Name the types of volcanoes on the basis of frequency of eruption.
On the basis of frequency of eruption, Volcanoes are classified into 3 types. They are active valconoes, Dormant valconoes, Extinct valconoes.
Mention the important earthquake zones of the world.
The circum- pacific belt, Regions around the Pacific ocean. (Philippines, Japan, USA, Peru etc) The Mediterranean belt Regions around the Mediterranean sea The Himalayan belt- The Siwalik Regions of India.
What is weathering? Name the 3 main types of weathering?
Weathering is the wearing away or breaking down or gradual disintergration of rocks by agent present in the atmosphere.
The 3 types of weathering are
- Mechanical weathering
- Chemical weathring
- Biological weathering
Name of the land forms associated with the work of river
Denudation is the action of changing Landscape or changing the surface of the earth by river.
- formation of Gorges, canyons, “v” shaped valleys, waterfalls, eg. Angel Falls, Niagara falls, Jog falls.
- alluvial fans, meanders.
- Flood Plains, Natural levees, ox- bow lakes.
- Deltas Ex: sunderban delta, Nile belta.
III. Match the following
|1. SIMA||a) earth quake|
|2. Sand Stone||b) yellow soil|
|3. Epicentre||c) oceanic crust|
|4. Geyser||d) sedmintary rock|
|5. Loess||e) undergrounds water.|
1 – c
2 – d
3 – a
4 – e
5 – b
IV. Define the following.
1. Aqueous rocks: Sand stone rocks are called as aqueous rock.
2. “ Pacific ring fire”: Coastal regions of the Pacific oceans consisting of Philippines, Japan USA Central America, South America etc.
3. Mechanical weathering: When the rock is broken and disintergrated without any chemical alteration, the process is called physical weathering or mechanical weathering.
4. Carbonaceous rocks: Organic sediments are those derived by the accumulation of remains of organisms Ex: coal (carbonaceous rocks)
5. Tsunami: Tsunami is a large sea wave occasionally experienced along the coasts of Japan and in other regions caused by an under water eathquake.
6. Continental glacier: Continental glacier are extensive ice sheets found in polar region
Ex: Green land and Antarctica.
7. Hot spring: Whenever Warm or hot water comes out naturally it is called hot spring or thermal spring.
V. terms to remember
- NIFE: Nickel and ferrous (Iron)
- Arenaceous and argillaceaus rocks: sand stone and Shale.
- Tectonic forces: The force between the earth plates.
- Mountain glacier: the glacier found in the polar regions are called mountain glacier.
- Aeolian cycle: Work of wind is called Aeolian Cycle.
- Beaches: The work of sea waves is significant along the sea shore or coast.
Additional Questions and Answers
Fill in the blanks
The Outer – most solid layer of the earth is known as the _____________ .
_______________ The Crust is the Lithosphere
_______________ is the middle or second layer of the earth.
The most important materials of the core are _______________ and _______________ .
Nickle and ferrous.
_______________ are the solid inorganic substances.
The word ‘Igneous’ Means _______________ .
_______________ rocks are the hardes rocks on the earth.
The Scientific Study of earthquake is called _______________
Whenever warm or hot water comes oot naturally it is called _______________ or _______________.
hot spring or thermal spring
Answer the followings
Name the two important types of Igneous rocks?
Intrusive rocks and extrusive rocks are the two types of Igneous rocks.
Define the sedimentary rocks.
The word ‘Sedimentary’ is derived from a latin word ‘sedimentum’, which means setting down. Sedimentary rocks are formed by the agency of water, wind and Ice
Define Metamorphic rocks.
Metamorphic rocks are the hard set rock on the earth. These rocks supply precious stones. Ex: Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald and Diamond Etc.
Explain the internal forces.
These are the forces which orginate inside the crust and influence the surface features of the earth.
Ex: Volcanoes, Earthquakes etc.
Name the Volcanic materials
The materials ejecting out from the volcanoes are of 3 types.
Solid: Volcanic rocks, cinders, silica. Pumice, dust, ash Liquid: Lava
Gases: Sulpur, hydrogen, Carbon dioxide.
Which is instrument used to measure earth quake?
‘Seismograph’ instrument used to measure earthquake.
Name the 3 important earthquake waves
The three Important earthquake waves are ____________
- primary waves (Pw)
- Secondary waves (SW) and
- surface wave (SW)
What are the types of Glaciers?
Glaciers are divided into two types
- Continental Glaciers and
- Mountain glaciers
What is a spring? What are its kinds
A Spring is a place where the underground water come and naturally.
Types of spring
- Perennial spring
- Inter mittent spring
- Hot Spring
- Artesian wells